Frederick, MD 21701
About Faith Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA)
"...testifying to the gospel of God's grace." - Acts 20:24
More About Faith Reformed Presbyterian Church (PCA)
To be a worshipping community of grace impacting Frederick and the world with the transforming message of the grace of Christ.
Faith Church believes God would have us to be:
I. Reformed – Faith is a “reformed” body of believers seeking to live out the Christian life mindful of God’s sovereign grace. To that end, we hold to the tenets of the protestant reformation: Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, and Soli Deo Gloria.
- The Bible alone (Sola Scriptura) is our only rule for faith and practice. We recognize the Bible to be God’s holy and inspired word and therefore it has authority over our lives as individuals and as the church (John 17:17, 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 21).
- Grace alone (Sola Gratia) is the means by which God brings us to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. As sinful and helpless human beings, there is nothing we could do to earn God’s favor toward us. No amount of good works on our part could merit salvation (Romans 3:23; 6:23).
- Faith alone (Sola Fide) is the only way anyone comes to salvation as it is freely offered to us in the Bible. Saving faith itself is a gift from God (Romans 3:22; Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Jesus Christ alone (Solus Christus) is the only means of salvation. Jesus came to give His life as a ransom to redeem sinners from their condemnation and to bring them into a reconciled relationship with God (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).
- The glory of God alone (Soli Deo Gloria) is our highest and best purpose. Man was created in the image of God in order to bring glory and honor to God. We will never be truly happy or have abundant life until we are following Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31; Psalm 73:25-28).
II. A Covenant Family – Faith is a “covenant family” in that God has made a bond in Christ’s blood promising to be our God and adopting us as His children by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. We actively fulfill this role by:
Worshiping – Faith is a body of believers actively seeking to encourage the earnest worship of God, in every aspect of life both private and corporate, through joyful, vibrant and weighty engagement with God in a gracious, life-changing communion. The worship of God is a whole life endeavor. To that end our corporate worship seeks to glorify God and to equip believers to glorify Him in every area of life by:
- being Christ-centered, which means we seek to make the person and work of Jesus Christ our focus (1 Corinthians 1:23-24).
- allowing the Bible to rule the scope of our worship (2 Timothy 3:16).
- seeking to be accessible to all through a “contemporary reformed” worship style that is historic with integrated contemporary elements.
- seeking simplicity of form in order to avoid worship becoming an entertaining spectacle or sentimentally focused on the one hand or liturgically focused on the other.
- fostering a sense of gathering before the face of God, to intimately experience His presence.
- seeking to offer our best in every part of the service (1 Corinthians 10:31).
- seeking to come together with hearts that are filled with delight and awe.
- seeking to grow in grace through the proper observance of the sacraments (Acts 2:42).
Praying – Faith is a body of believers seeking to say with the disciples, “Lord, teach us to pray…” (Luke 11) in order that we would grow in intimacy with Christ and each other, fostering fervent, fruitful and consistent prayer both privately and corporately. To that end we:
- seek to pray at every gathering of the church.
- seek to encourage prayer through weekly prayer sheets.
- maintain an email prayer chain.
- make prayer a substantial part of corporate worship.
- seek to provide opportunities for small group prayer during the week.
- teach total dependence on the Holy Spirit to do any good through us, which is most often accomplished through prayer.
Discipling – Faith is a community of saints seeking earnestly to be faithful to the Lord’s command to make disciples (Matthew 28:19). Discipleship is the progressive process of being transformed into the image and likeness of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:9-10; Romans 12:1-2). This process includes:
- the sacrament of Baptism
- becoming a member of the visible church
- hearing expository preaching
- participation in Christian Education: Sunday school, Bible Studies, and small groups
- pursuit of individual Scripture study
- participation in the ministry of the church
- mutual accountability
- instilling in our members a love for those who do not know Jesus and a sense of urgency so they will long to personally share Jesus with others
Fellowshiping – Faith is a community of saints that come together to encourage, strengthen, admonish and build one another up in order to contend for the Faith and be a faithful witness (Hebrews 10:24-25; Acts 2:44-47; Jude 3; 1 Corinthians 12). We fellowship as we gather:
- for corporate worship.
- to partake of the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper.
- for various after-church functions and dinners.
- for shepherding groups.
- for small group studies.
- to support and participate in mission trips.
- for focused men’s, women’s and youth ministries.
Serving – Faith as a body desires to help every one discover and use their gifts to help meet the spiritual and social needs both inside and outside the Church. We do this by offering our time, treasure and talents to love, accept, and care for others locally and around the world. Following the example of the elders and deacons, members are encouraged to minister to the needs of “the whole person,” spiritual, emotional, and physical. The Lord requires us “to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8). We do this by sharing Christ’s love:
- Locally through
- Counseling, encouragement, teaching, and prayer ministries
- Adequately equipping every member to confidently share the Gospel.
- Partnerships with local mercy ministries
- Creating avenues to share Jesus with others through special services and events
- Regionally through
- Short-term urban and rural missions trips
- Internationally through
- Short-term mission trips in support of the PCA’s Mission to the World and other agencies
Welcoming – Often people are reticent to enter a church because they believe it is filled with folks who think they are better than anyone else. The truth is all have sinned (Romans 3:23) and no one has any room to boast (Ephesians. 2:9). Christ died for all, not just for those who seem to have their act together! We desire for everyone to feel welcome in our church, knowing that we all come to God in the same state – as sinners incapable of rescuing ourselves and in total need of a Savior.
- Attitude of grace
- We readily welcome all – it is for sinners Christ died
- Warm and Friendly
- It is our desire that you not only feel welcomed the first time you come but that you will sense the warmth, love, and fellowship of this congregation such that you will want to become members of this church and fully participate in our covenant family
- Physical plant
- Realizing first impressions are lasting impressions we strive to make our building and grounds clean, comfortable, and adequate
Caring – As a Presbyterian church we seek to care for our members through the oversight of elders and the service of deacons. Care is love in action. We love one another by caring, nurturing, and encouraging one another toward maturity in Christ. We do this through various avenues:
- Oversight by the Elders
- The Session consists of ordained men of the church called elders who have oversight over the members. All members and regular visitors are assigned to an elder. Each elder strives to know and minister to those under his care.
- Diaconal ministry
- Our Diaconate consists of ordained men of the church called deacons who are actively involved in organizing help for our members and friends of the church. Our Diaconate strives to minister spiritually while also addressing physical needs.
Is this your business?
Promote your business through our innovative Marketplace system! It's free to sign up!