Active Shooter Response

Members of the Frederick Police Department Special Response Team prepare to enter Fort Detrick at the Nallin Farm Gate in a convoy of vans and sedans the morning of April 6 following a shooting in the Riverside Corporate Park, near the Royal Farms on Monocacy Boulevard in northeast Frederick.

One month into the investigation of the deceased Fort Detrick sailor who reportedly shot two fellow service members in a Frederick business park April 6, police have no major updates to release to the public.

Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, a 38-year-old Navy Hospital Corpsman stationed at Fort Detrick, reportedly shot two naval sailors with a rifle in the 8400 block of Progress Drive around 8:20 a.m.

The men were working inside a warehouse rented and used for storage by the Naval Medical Research Center, Biological Defense Research Directorate, according to the Frederick Police Department. Woldesenbet, of the 100 block of Willowdale Drive in Frederick, reportedly drove to Fort Detrick immediately after the shooting, where the post’s civilian police fatally shot him.

Shooting victim Navy Hospitalman Casey Nutt, 26, of Germantown, was released from the hospital the day of the shooting. Hospital Corpsman 1st Class Carlos Portugal, 36, of Frederick, was hospitalized for a longer stay, but as of Wednesday, he was doing well and had received outpatient care, according to Naval Medical Research Center spokesman Tommy Lamkin.

The police investigation is ongoing, but questions such as motive and details of the shooter’s relationship to the victims remain unclear.

“We are still coordinating with all of the partnering agencies involved in this investigation, and at the conclusion of the investigation we will provide the findings,” FPD spokesman Allen Etzler wrote in an email Wednesday. “We know there’s a desire from the public to receive this information, but we do not want to jeopardize the integrity of the investigation by releasing information without the full picture.”

Fort Detrick spokeswoman Lanessa Hill did not have an update Thursday.

Follow Mary Grace Keller on Twitter: @MaryGraceKeller

(3) comments


UN-believeable !! A month later with both victims having survived, one out of hospital within a day, ... and supposedly neither one has any clue as to what precipitated the shootings ?? ... Come on now !!!


Yah, the shooter is deceased, so why not let us know what happened? Also, let us know why he was let in to Fort Detrick after the shootings. Was that a mistake, or did the police think that would make it easier to stop him? It also seems likely he intended to shoot people at Ft. Detrick. Is that why he went there?


He worked there, with the two he shot. But evidently that day he drove thru the gate without stopping because they had been alerted that he might try to come in and to stop him. Whether he had others there he wanted to shoot has not been answered.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it clean. No vulgar, racist, sexist or sexually-oriented language.
Engage ideas. This forum is for the exchange of ideas, not personal attacks or ad hominem criticisms.
Be civil. Don't threaten. Don't lie. Don't bait. Don't degrade others.
No trolling. Stay on topic.
No spamming. This is not the place to sell miracle cures.
No deceptive names. Apparently misleading usernames are not allowed.
Say it once. No repetitive posts, please.
Help us. Use the 'Report' link for abusive posts.

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.