Members of Brunswick Police Chief Milton Frech Jr.’s law enforcement family past and present lined up for a final salute Tuesday afternoon, offering a farewell to a longtime officer in the Frederick County law enforcement community.

On one side stood the officers of Frech’s own Brunswick Police Department, while officers from departments in Maryland and Virginia on the other side saluted as friends and family carried Frech’s casket to a waiting hearse.

Frech, 56, died unexpectedly on March 30 at his home in Emmitsburg.

Major Troy Barrick of the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office, where Frech worked for more than a decade, said Frech welcomed him with open arms upon his own arrival at the sheriff’s office 26 years ago.

“I don’t know how you couldn’t be friends with Milt,” Barrick said.

Milton Frech Funeral

An Air Force officer presents the folded American flag that had covered the casket of Milton Frech Jr. to Frech’s wife during Tuesdays funeral.

Frederick Alderman Kelly Russell said she met Frech when they both worked at the Frederick Police Department in the late 1980s and early ‘90s. As the department’s assistant supervisor of special operations, Russell said she often worked with Frech on narcotics operations.

On Tuesday, she remembered Frech’s great smile and consistently friendly attitude.

“He always greeted you with a handshake and a smile,” Russell said.

In recent years, she most often ran into Frech at graduation ceremonies for new officers, she said.

Milton Frech Funeral

Pallbearers including family and members of the law enforcement community carry the casket of Brunswick Police Chief Milton Frech Jr. to a hearse following a service Tuesday afternoon in Frederick.

Frech was a father figure to the younger officers on the Brunswick force, Capt. Kevin Grunwell, of the Brunswick Police Department, said during a eulogy Tuesday.

When Frech took over in Brunswick, the department’s equipment and pay weren’t great, Grunwell said.

He developed the department into a place where young officers and others wanted to come to, he said.

It says something about who Frech was that four very different mayors chose to keep him as the town’s police chief, he said.

Milton Frech Funeral

Milton Frech III, surviving son of Brunswick Police Chief Milton Frech Jr., receives a hug from another officer following Tuesday’s funeral service.

Frech started his career as a police officer with the Baltimore City Police Department in 1987 and served two years there. He then spent five years with the Frederick Police Department before joining the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office in 1993. He retired from the sheriff’s office in 2007 before going to Brunswick as assistant chief.

He was appointed chief in 2009 when, to his surprise, the city council voted him in unanimously during a council meeting. He interviewed for the permanent position while serving as acting chief at the time and succeeded former Chief John Smith.

Milton Frech III said his father exemplified the term “community policing.”

Milton Frech Funeral

Members of the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office Color Guard leave the gravesite.

He and his sisters couldn’t go to the store with their dad without him getting stopped and talking with someone, sometimes someone he had locked up, he said.

Frech’s long service in the region’s law enforcement community was reflected in the departments who sent representatives to Tuesday’s service. Among those were the Maryland State Police, Baltimore County Police Department, the Washington, Frederick, and Carroll county sheriff’s offices in Maryland and the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia, and the Frederick, Thurmont, Gaithersburg, Hagerstown, Fairfax (Va.), and Leesburg (Va.) police departments.

Even after he left and took the Brunswick job, Frech would stop by the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office’s headquarters to see old friends, Barrick said.

Sheriff’s deputies took over patrolling Brunswick Tuesday so all of the city’s officers could attend the funeral.

“Just because he left, that bond between our agencies still remained intact and even got stronger,” Barrick said.

Follow Ryan Marshall on Twitter: @RMarshallFNP

Ryan Marshall is the transportation and growth and development reporter for the News-Post. He can be reached at

(1) comment


Did Covid disappear overnight? The majority of those in attendance have NO masks on. Do people not understand that they could end up mourning the loss of another loved on by spreading this around?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it clean. No vulgar, racist, sexist or sexually-oriented language.
Engage ideas. This forum is for the exchange of ideas, not personal attacks or ad hominem criticisms.
Be civil. Don't threaten. Don't lie. Don't bait. Don't degrade others.
No trolling. Stay on topic.
No spamming. This is not the place to sell miracle cures.
No deceptive names. Apparently misleading usernames are not allowed.
Say it once. No repetitive posts, please.
Help us. Use the 'Report' link for abusive posts.

Thank you for reading!

Already a member?

Login Now
Click Here!

Currently a News-Post subscriber?

Activate your membership at no additional charge.
Click Here!

Need more information?

Learn about the benefits of membership.
Click Here!

Ready to join?

Choose the membership plan that fits your needs.
Click Here!