A Frederick man charged in the shooting death of a woman at an after-prom party last year has received a 10-year sentence for manslaughter.
Ean Davis-Lattimore, 18, of Frederick, took an Alford plea Wednesday to manslaughter. An Alford plea means a person maintains their innocence but acknowledges that state prosecutors would have enough evidence to convict them.
Davis-Lattimore was originally indicted by a grand jury on charges including first- and second-degree murder in the death of 18-year-old Genesis Marie McCarter-Berretto. He was also charged with first- and second-degree assault. The Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office later dropped the first-degree murder charge.
As part of the Alford plea, the first-degree and second-degree charges were abandoned by the state. Davis-Lattimore received the maximum sentence for manslaughter.
“Like the family said at sentencing, nothing will bring her back, but at least the defendant will be held responsible,” Frederick County State’s Attorney Charlie Smith said in a statement. “What remains to be seen is whether he will use his time in prison to turn his life around.”
Smith said he was surprised to find out that Davis-Lattimore wanted to take a plea in the case.
“It was really out of left field,” he said.
Davis-Lattimore’s attorney, Matthew Frawley, declined to comment on the sentencing when reached by phone Thursday evening.
The Frederick Police Department responded to a shooting on May 13, 2018, at a house in the 1800 block of Weybridge Road in Frederick, where they found McCarter-Berretto with a gunshot wound to the neck. Despite the efforts of police and emergency medical services personnel, she died at the scene. A teenage boy was also shot in the leg, according to a news release from the state’s attorney’s office.
Witnesses told detectives that Davis-Lattimore was at the party and a fight started, according to the release. The fight moved outside to the front of the house, and witnesses said Davis-Lattimore fired a gun toward the house.
Bullet holes were found on the front of the house, and police recovered eight shell casings, according to the release.
Davis-Lattimore told police he was at the party and got into a fight. Throughout his time awaiting trial, Davis-Lattimore maintained his innocence, according to previous News-Post reporting.
Although Davis-Lattimore was held without bail for 10 months after he was arrested, he posted $100,000 bail in March.
At the time of the Alford plea, Davis-Lattimore was in jail after he was indicted by a grand jury on June 28 on charges of robbery and assault. The victim in the case did not want to press charges, and had appeared on Davis-Lattimore’s behalf at a previous hearing, according to Smith.
The charges in that case were dropped at Wednesday’s hearing.
“That case was problematic,” Smith said.
Staff writer Ryan Marshall contributed to this report.