A Frederick County judge sentenced a Frederick man to seven years in prison for beating his fiancee in June 2018.
Melvin Alfaro, 35, received a 25-year sentence with all but seven years suspended after pleading guilty to first-degree assault in January. Upon his release, Alfaro will be on five years of supervised probation.
Police arrested Alfaro in June after responding to a domestic dispute at about 4:30 a.m. Police found a woman with several injuries, including a fractured orbital bone, according to original charging documents.
When confronted by police about the woman's injuries, Alfaro said that the woman deserved everything that he had done to her due to an argument and altercation that occurred earlier and the previous night, according to previous reports.
The state's attorney's office urged people who experience domestic violence to seek help.
If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, here are some resources you can call:
- Heartly House: 301-662-8800
- Frederick County Sheriff’s Office, Victim Services Unit: 301-600-1290
- Frederick Police Department, Victim Services Unit: 301-600-1356
- Fort Detrick, SHARP Program: 301-619-7387
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233