A Frederick pediatrician who was released on $100,000 bail on rape and sex offense charges earlier this month was arrested again Monday after city police said more alleged victims stepped forward.
The charges were announced Monday afternoon shortly after Dr. Ernesto Cesar Torres was arrested at his attorney’s office in Frederick, said Michele Bowman, a Frederick police spokeswoman. In addition to his previous charges, Torres now faces 43 counts of third-degree sex offense, 10 counts of sexually abusing a minor, nine counts of child sex abuse, two counts of second-degree sex abuse and one count of second-degree assault, according to Monday’s release.
Eleven new alleged victims were identified after Torres’ initial arrest May 8, Bowman said. The new charges were filed after extensive interviews and follow-up investigation by detectives, Bowman said.
“We had parents that called in who said they believed that their child was also a victim and then, upon further investigation, the state’s attorney’s office decided to file for the additional charges,” Bowman said.
Torres’ attorney, Richard P. Bricken, spoke with a Frederick News-Post reporter earlier Monday but was not available for comment after police announced the additional charges filed against his client Monday afternoon.
Police say there may be more victims in the case. Anyone who has any information about the case, including other potential victims, were urged to contact Detective Sean McKinney at 240-578-5683.
Torres, 68, has practiced pediatric medicine in the city since 1979 and was particularly popular among the city’s growing Spanish-speaking population. His office is in a small medical park in the 100 block of Thomas Johnson Drive.
“From the sheer number [of calls] that we had last time, we’re now working with one of our local partners to get [our release] translated into Spanish, as well, because if there are any other victims we definitely want to know about it,” Bowman said. “He had a lot of patients who came to him because he spoke Spanish and we know it’s a very tight-knit community.”
Torres, of the 7600 block of San Di Gan Drive, was awaiting a hearing before a district court commissioner at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center as of Monday afternoon. If he is denied bail, Torres will likely appear in Frederick County Circuit Court for a bail review hearing Tuesday afternoon.