Frederick police on Thursday arrested a sixth person who they believe was involved in a shootout late last month on Taney Avenue and at the Frederick Shopping Center.
Detectives learned that the suspect, identified in charging documents as 17-year-old Omar Malik Bah, was staying at a home on Jacob Brunner Drive and obtained a warrant to search the residence, said Sgt. Andrew Alcorn, a supervisor in the department’s Criminal Investigation Division. The warrant was served sometime before 7:30 p.m. and Bah was taken into custody, Alcorn said. Bah’s court records indicate that he lives in the 1800 block of Jacob Brunner Drive.
Bah was identified through tips received by Frederick police detectives after a series of press releases and news stories seeking information. On Wednesday, police learned that Bah was being monitored by the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services for unrelated offenses, and a subsequent search of his GPS monitoring device’s records placed him in the area of the shooting at the time the shots were fired, the documents state.
Despite his age, Bah was charged as an adult with first-degree assault and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault, according to court records. He was ordered held without bail in his initial appearance before a district court commissioner Thursday.
Assistant Public Defender Alex Hutt declined to ask for bail at a subsequent hearing Friday afternoon, instead requesting that Frederick County District Judge Eric Schaffer consider moving Bah from the Frederick County Adult Detention Center to a state-run youth detention center. Hutt also asked Schaffer to transfer Bah’s case from adult to juvenile court.
While the judge granted Hutt’s request for Bah to be held in a juvenile detention center, Schaffer said it was too soon to approve transferring Bah’s case to juvenile court. Instead, Schaffer signed an order for a study to be conducted to determine which court Bah’s case should be heard in.
A woman who identified herself as Bah’s mother declined to comment on the case after Friday’s bail review hearing.
Based on surveillance footage and witness accounts, police believe a total of seven people were involved in the exchange of gunfire, which was reported at about 6 p.m. June 20 at the shopping center on West Seventh Street.
“There were two suspects that we were looking for in addition to the five already in custody, and [Bah] was one of them,” Alcorn said.
In surveillance camera footage of the shooting, Bah and 22-year-old Dyshez Montel Williams were confronted by a second group of five young men outside the McDonald’s in the shopping center immediately before the first gunshots were fired, according to charging documents filed in district court.
The footage shows the two groups exchanging gunfire in the shopping center before making their way to the parking lot in front of the Potomac Commons apartment complex, where several more shots were fired before the groups dispersed.
Three people from the larger group, Robert Antoine Shirley Jr., 19, Kion B. Parker, 16, and Curtis Byon Smith, 17, all of Frederick, were arrested separately in the hours after the shooting. Williams and a fifth suspect, 21-year-old Richard Lee Thomas, were taken into custody on June 21 and June 25, respectively.