The level of force used to detain Robert Ethan Saylor before his death was not inconsistent with Frederick County Sheriff's Office policies or rules, according to a use-of-force report released Thursday.
Saylor died while in the custody of off-duty sheriff's deputies who forcibly removed him from a Frederick movie theater Jan. 12 after he refused to leave.
Supervisors note in a signed copy of the incident report that the deputies' use of force was "consistent and reasonable."
Saylor, a 26-year-old New Market man with Down syndrome, had just seen the film "Zero Dark Thirty" at the Westview Stadium 16 movie theater.
The report was written by Sgt. Rich Rochford and also signed by Lt. Scott Jewell and Deputy First Class James Harris, the three deputies involved in the altercation with Saylor.
The use-of-force report states that the case was forwarded to internal affairs for administrative review Jan. 14 and closed May 7.
The deputies said in the report that Saylor refused to leave the movie theater after the screening and did not comply with numerous verbal demands.
A physical struggle ensued between Saylor and the three deputies, and when Saylor "dropped to the floor" on an access ramp, deputies handcuffed him using three handcuffs as a chain, the deputies wrote.
"At this time we attempted to stand him up and walk him from the theater, when the deputies realized that Mr. Saylor had lost consciousness.
Deputies then turned Mr. Saylor on his side in the rescue position and removed the handcuffs. Deputies requested EMS and provided first aid until they arrived," the report states.
The report's final page was forwarded to The Frederick News-Post by the sheriff's office records section on Thursday.
Previously, the use-of-force documents used in the internal investigation were not disclosed with the criminal investigation file.
Attorney Daniel Karp, who represents the Frederick County Sheriff's Office when there is the possibility of litigation, has said the release of the reports related to Saylor's death should show the public that the sheriff's office investigation was thorough.
Joe Espo, an attorney representing Saylor's family, said no use of force was necessary in this case. In a telephone interview, he called the conclusion of the report an outrage.
"From start to finish, the conduct of the deputies and theater personnel was outrageous," Espo said Thursday.
Karp did not return calls for comment Thursday.
Staff writers Danielle E. Gaines and Cara R. Anthony contributed to this report.
Follow Daniel J. Gross on Twitter: @DanielJGross.