After spending nearly a decade at the helm of Catoctin High School, Principal Bernard Quesada is moving from the mountains to the valley.
The popular longtime principal is moving to Middletown High School, one of 18 schools that will have new principals next year, the district announced.
After taking over the leadership role in the school at a time of struggling achievement, Quesada boosted school performance and navigated the school through difficult times after a potential attack on the school was thwarted by law enforcement but left the community reeling.
Under Quesada’s leadership, Catoctin became the only high school in the state to be named a national school of high character by the nonprofit Character.org. The school also boasts the district’s 2019 teacher of the year, Mike Franklin.
Frederick County Public Schools announced the rest of the new principal and assistant principal appointments. These changes will take effect July 1.
The following schools will have different principals:
- Ballenger Creek Middle: Jay Schill.
- Brunswick Middle: Everett Warren.
- Catoctin High: Jennifer Clements.
- Centerville Elementary: Karen Hopson.
- Deer Crossing Elementary: Amy Routzahn.
- Heather Ridge: Elizabeth Stiffler.
- Kemptown Elementary: Kathryn Golightly.
- Liberty Elementary: Jana Strohmeyer
- Lincoln Elementary: Eric Rhodes.
- Middletown Elementary: Jan Hollenbeck.
- Middletown Middle: Paul Fer.
- Middletown Primary: Sandra Fox.
- Orchard Grove Elementary: Jay Corrigan.
- Rock Creek: Katie Buckley.
- Thurmont Primary: Michele Baisey.
- Twin Ridge Elementary: Heather Hobbs Michael.
- Urbana Elementary: Tracy Hilliard.
Hilliard will serve as planning principal for the new Urbana Elementary School, opening in fall 2020.
- Yellow Springs Elementary: Sue Gullo.
- The following schools will have different assistant principals:
- Ballenger Creek Middle: Beth Ann Miller.
- Brunswick Elementary: Jason Rubeling.
- Carroll Manor Elementary: John Veronie.
- Frederick High: Erik Engelstatter.
- Glade Elementary: Heather Putnam.
- Gov. Thomas Johnson High: Carolann Britton.
- Gov. Thomas Johnson Middle: Joseph Hinson.
- Green Valley Elementary: Hannah Feldman.
- Hillcrest Elementary: John Ridenour.
- Lincoln Elementary: Mary Beth Smith.
- Middletown Elementary: Kelly McConville.
- New Market Elementary: Karen McGaha.
- New Midway/Woodsboro Elementary: Molly Reter.
- North Frederick Elementary: Nicole Bell.
- Oakdale High: Daniel Grimm.
- Waverley Elementary: Julie Ivins.
- Windsor Knolls Middle: Jo Ann Branham.