Jeannette Bartelt is a Democratic candidate for alderwoman.
1. The aldermen vote annually on the city’s fiscal budget. What do you believe are the three biggest budget priorities? Are there any places where you would insist on more or less spending?
Upgrade appearance of the city to encourage tourism:
- Facades of the buildings
Programs for youth:
- Summer- and after-school programs
Programs for elders:
- Senior facility for the west side of Frederick
- Senior affordable housing
More money spent to deal with safety issues versus beautification
2. Now that the proposed downtown hotel and conference center is in the design phase, with public dollars not slated for construction or operation of the buildings, what are your thoughts on the city investing in the project?
Frederick should consider building an underground parking facility for this project that would bring income in the future.
2A. Yes or no: Do you support demolition of the historic Birely Tannery building for development of the hotel and conference center?
No, I do not feel the Birely Tannery building should be demolished, but the interior could be modernized to be used for other purposes.
3. The Frederick Towne Mall property was recently sold to a buyer who has been pretty quiet about development plans. What would you like to see developed at the site?
It would be nice to leave this area as an inside mall but add variety to the vendors who would rent spaces. There are already large retail businesses who are in these spaces. It would be nice to encourage other types of vendors for example: holistic health care services, walk-in clinics, small play areas, United Way offices, and senior and family services.