ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
(For the week ending Nov. 10)
Michael Belmaggio, Linganore,
Belmaggio closed out his cross country career on Saturday, winning the Class 3A state championship at Hereford High School with a time of 16 minutes, 16.21 seconds.
Kasi Ogwulu, Walkersville, soccer
Ogwulu’s header in front of the Oakdale goal with 5 minutes, 28 seconds left in the second overtime gave Walkersville its first girls soccer state semifinal berth in school history on Wednesday. The Lions edged Oakdale 2-1, then defeated Fallston 1-0 (5-3, penalty kicks) in the state semifinals on Saturday to reach the 2A state championship match, where they face River Hill at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday at Loyola’s Ridley Athletic Complex.
• Collin Schlee’s Hail Mary, 55-yard, touchdown pass to Blake Baxter late in the first half, with the Bears trailing Liberty, 14-10, gave Oakdale the spark it would need to defeat the Lions 38-14 in the Class 2A West semifinals on Friday at Marriotts Ridge High School.
• Urbana’s volleyball team is going to the state semifinals for the first time since 2009. The Hawks outlasted Dulaney, 3-2, to win the Class 4A North championship on Friday.
• Thomas Johnson’s girls soccer team earned a berth in the state championship for the first time since 2010 with a 3-1 win over Mount Hebron in the Class 3A state semifinals on Saturday at Linganore High School. The Patriots face Northern of Calvert in the championship match at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• Carson Sickeri’s late touchdown run, along with a great defensive stop by his Catoctin teammates, gave the Cougars a 34-28 win over Boonsboro in the Class 1A West semifinals on Friday.
• Linganore’s football team scored five straight touchdowns, setting up a 45-8 win over Hubert Blake in the Class 3A West semifinals on Friday.
• Oakdale’s and Urbana’s boys soccer teams are headed back to the state championships. The Bears defeated Kent Island 1-0 in the Class 2A state semifinals on Saturday at River Hill High School. Urbana blanked Bladensburg 2-0 in the 4A state semis. Oakdale’s boys meet River Hill at 5 p.m. on Thursday at Ridley Athletic Complex in the 2A state title match. Urbana plays Walt Whitman at 5 p.m. on Friday at Ridley complex for the 4A state championship.