Athletes of the Week
(For the week ending May 11)
Mark Rogers, Catoctin, baseball
Rogers’ game-winning, walkoff RBI single with two out in the bottom of the seventh inning gave the Cougars a come-from-behind, 4-3 win over Brunswick in Saturday’s Class 1A West, Section II semifinal playoff win.
Victoria McClain, Middletown, softball
After missing the first seven games of the season, due to a sinus cavity fracture sustained during a practice, McClain has recovered. In Thursday’s 2-0 win over Walkersville in the first round of the Class 2A West, Section II playoffs, she pitched a three-hitter.
• Graham Brown had a grand slam for Middletown’s baseball team in a 5-1 win over Poolesville on Saturday in the Class 2A West, Section II semifinals. The Knights’ Luke Pryor also had 11 strikeouts on the mound in Saturday’s win.
• Tyler Prather’s game-winning sacrifice fly with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning chased home Chris Prygocki from third base Thursday for host Frederick, which advanced to the Section II semifinals in the Class 3A West playoffs with a 2-1 win over South Hagerstown on Thursday.
• Thomas Johnson’s Winter Hawk pitched a three-hitter with eight strikeouts for the Patriots’ softball team in a 9-0 win over Frederick on Thursday in the first round of the Class 3A West, Section II playoffs.
• Middletown’s baseball team and Catoctin’s softball team won respective Central Maryland Conference championships on Tuesday. The Knights defeated Linganore 7-2 for its first conference crown. The Cougars defeated Urbana 3-0.
• The Oakdale boys and Urbana girls won respective team championships on Monday at the Frederick County Public Schools Track and Field meet at Frederick High School.