Ronnie Beard 2002

Ronnie Beard was known for his hurdling exploits at Frederick High in the early 2000s, but he cut it loose in a couple of other events in the 2003 CMC championships to jaw-dropping results.

Editor’s note: In this unprecedented, unexpected time with no games to watch, our staff of five reminisces about the best individual performances by one athlete they’ve covered during their time as News-Post sports reporters.

All you had to do was look at his dark eyes, burning straight ahead as the legs beneath him seemingly spun in a blur.

This was Ronnie Beard’s best race face, and he was wearing it well on a fine May afternoon in 2003 at Century High School. As I recall, he sort of looked calmly angry while steaming to victory in 10.66 seconds over 100 meters.

There was always an intriguing dichotomy to Beard, the fantastic Frederick High hurdler/sprinter/jumper of the early 2000s. When he wasn’t propelling himself with focused, fluid aggression and splendid form through whatever event had consumed his undivided attention at that moment, Beard was an unassuming, soft-spoken kid.

But, no matter the degree of Beard’s modesty, his talent had seized a megaphone during those Central Maryland Conference championships on May 1 of his senior year.

I covered a lot of track meets early in my career. I had a history in the sport (though rather unremarkable), so it was natural that I enjoyed reporting on it.

There’s no high school athlete I enjoyed watching more than Beard, who cut it loose and dropped jaws that day while winning four events.

And he didn’t even compete in his specialty, the hurdles.

This was a plan hatched by his coach, the demanding Randy Jones, for Beard to cement his full greatness by entering a pair of events he normally didn’t run — the 100 and 200 dashes — against another local standout.

“This was back when Urbana had Jon Cooper, the great sprinter,” Beard recalled last week from his home in Columbia. “He was a big guy, muscular. ... He’d been cleaning up on the circuit at that time. So, [I said], ‘Let’s give it a try.’”

After nipping Cooper by one-hundredth of a second with that furious 100, Beard was typically stoic as I engaged him for a quick interview in the infield. Through heavy recovery breaths, his comments were less about what he’d just done and more about what “a beast” Cooper was.

Of course, that contrasted his scowl as he burned to victory moments earlier. No one flipped that switch easier than Beard.

“I loved competing, loved to be able to turn it on, loved being able to turn it off after the race,” said Beard, 35, who teaches social studies and coaches track at Oakdale High. “You just can’t stay that wound tight the entire time.”

Not long after his first win, though, he was all wound up again — this time for the start of the 200 final. Poised for another duel with Cooper, Beard had confidence his training for the 300 hurdles — overseen by the diabolical Jones — gave him the stamina to prevail.

Beard edged Cooper, who was a junior, in a scorching 22.14 seconds.

“I think we shook [hands] after both the races there,” Beard said of Cooper. “I could see he was a little frustrated.”

What a feeling that must’ve been: to interlope against another preeminent performer in his forte — and win. Twice.

“It’s always nice to switch it up,” said Beard, who earned a track scholarship to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, largely based on his six hurdling state titles. “It’s good to see if you’re good all-around instead of just specialty events.”

Besides hurdles, Beard’s other specialty was the triple jump, which became a focus his senior year. Beard — who also won the long jump that day — loved triple-jumping because of the technique involved. The rhythm, the phases, the science of it.

As Beard says today, no doubt preached by Jones, “It’s all about the craft of the sport.”

His grasp of the craft culminated in a staggering jump of 46 feet, 2½ inches.

While talking about the triple jump last week, Beard burst into a kind of mini-tangent, perhaps revealing the teacher and coach he has become. Today, he’s the one doling out the type of painful workouts he once endured, helping his athletes reach their full potential.

He’s not much of a runner now, but he’s still in shape, still flexible enough to get over hurdles while modeling for his Oakdale charges — who probably aren’t quite aware of their coach’s incredible credentials.

All those years ago, I was in the press box late in the meet when the CMC triple jump results were announced. As they echoed in the air, I shook my head, just as Jones stepped into the room and called my name.

The plan for his star pupil had worked to perfection. I made reference to being in awe of Beard. A beaming Jones laughed a knowing laugh and patted my back.

Meanwhile, Beard was chilling somewhere else. His day was done, so he could turn it off.

He was probably thinking little of what he’d accomplished — yet also yearning for the next time he would get to turn it on.

Follow Joshua R. Smith on Twitter: @JoshuaR_Smith

Joshua R. Smith is the News-Post sports editor. He writes stories and columns about sports, life and fatherhood. Follow him on Twitter: @JoshuaR_Smith.

(1) comment


Thank you, Josh. I love hearing about track events because I ran the mile in a small upstate New York town You really didn't have to be good, but I was the best miler we had for three years The race I remember the most was the one against Watertown High. They were a city of 25,000 so they were a much bigger school. So, we didn't fare good against them in general. I always started out fast, not part of any strategy, I just was always anxious. So, I led for the first quarter and lost the lead, took it back at the half, lost it again at three quarters, It was a 220 track, so we needed to go around eight times for a mile. The last lap gun was fired and I was trailing - by

15 - 20 yards, We went around the first curve and into the back stretch and I was still trailing. The coach yelled, if you got it go now! I heard him, thought it was a little early, but he was the coach. So, with what I had left I opened up. I caught the lead just as we went into the final turn. Everyone was yelling for me not to pass on the curve. I knew I shouldn't, still I felt if I slowed down I would never get the pace back, so I went around. There we were running side by side, people yelling and horns of cars being sounded. We went into the final stretch and I pulled ahead - slightly and won by about two yards. It is not normal for a mile run to be exciting, that one was.

The other runner had some very good coaches and he got his time down to 4:20, mine was never much under five. Still I loved to run and usually ran five miles a night, during practice sessions.

How about doing an article on Boyer, he ran for Frederick High and was very good.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it clean. No vulgar, racist, sexist or sexually-oriented language.
Engage ideas. This forum is for the exchange of ideas, not personal attacks or ad hominem criticisms.
Be civil. Don't threaten. Don't lie. Don't bait. Don't degrade others.
No trolling. Stay on topic.
No spamming. This is not the place to sell miracle cures.
No deceptive names. Apparently misleading usernames are not allowed.
Say it once. No repetitive posts, please.
Help us. Use the 'Report' link for abusive posts.

Thank you for reading!

Already a member?

Login Now
Click Here!

Currently a News-Post subscriber?

Activate your membership at no additional charge.
Click Here!

Need more information?

Learn about the benefits of membership.
Click Here!

Ready to join?

Choose the membership plan that fits your needs.
Click Here!