Two teenage boys injured in a shooting outside of Frederick High School last night were each shot once, according to police.

One boy was shot in the leg and the other was shot in the back, a press release states. The injuries were not life-threatening, and the two are now in stable condition, said Lt. Joe Hayer, a spokesman for the Frederick Police Department.

The teens, who are students within the Frederick County Public Schools system, were flown to Johns Hopkins Hospital Wednesday night, but Hayer said he was unsure if they were still at the hospital Thursday night.

The identities of the two wounded students have not been released and it was not clear which school either attended. Police believe the assailants knew the teens, according to a police press release.

“This shooting is not believed to be a random incident,” the release states. “Investigators believe the suspects and victims were known to one another.”

Police responded to Frederick High School shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday for a shooting that took place outside the school near the gymnasium.

Officers initially described the assailants as four black males dressed in black, however, Frederick police spokesman Capt. Richard Hetherington said detectives were still sifting through many different witness accounts to be sure.

The school was placed under lockdown and the roughly 200 people inside the building were gathered into the cafeteria and individually interviewed by police. A junior boys varsity basketball game between Frederick and Gov. Thomas Johnson high schools was taking place in the gynamisum.

Check back at The Frederick News-Post for additional information as it becomes available.

- — Original story below ---

Two students were shot outside Frederick High School near the gymnasium Wednesday evening, officials said.

Officers were called to the high school shortly after 8 p.m., where they encountered a “chaotic” scene, said Capt. Richard Hetherington, of the Frederick Police Department.

The injuries of the two wounded students were not considered life-threatening as of late Wednesday. They were flown by helicopter to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, according to Lt. Bruce DeGrange.

DeGrange said it was unlikely police would release the wounded students’ names because they are younger than 18.

All other students and staff in the building were safe and instructed by police to remain in the school’s cafeteria. There were about 200 people gathered there after the shooting, said Michael Doerrer, a spokesman for Frederick County Public Schools.

The shooters, described as four black males dressed in black, remained at large as of late Wednesday night, according to Officer First Class M. Cox, who was present at the scene. A SWAT team was searching the school and the surrounding area.

Lynesha McIntyre, a Gov. Thomas Johnson High School senior, said she was at Frederick High School at the time of the shooting, watching a junior varsity boys basketball game between Frederick and Gov. Thomas Johnson high schools.

McIntyre said she saw four males dressed all in black walk into the gym a few minutes into the third quarter of the game. A few minutes later, they walked out.

McIntyre said she then heard two shots.

“People started crying and freaking out and running into the locker rooms,” she told The Frederick News-Post by phone.

McIntyre’s mother, Cathena Bowie, waited outside the school in her car, communicating with her daughter by phone.

Dwayne Bishop and Kelly Onley also waited in their cars outside the school waiting for their 15-year-old son, Nicolas Bishop.

“He sent us a text saying there was a shooting at the school and that he was OK,” Onley said.

Nicolas, who goes to Gov. Thomas Johnson High School and went to the game as a spectator, told his parents police were searching lockers at the school.

An email alert from the school system shortly after 10:30 p.m. Wednesday said students who were kept at the school during the lockdown were released to their parents. The students were escorted in small groups in the parking lot of the Terrace Lanes bowling alley on West College Terrace.

When asked if the public should fear for their safety, Hetherington responded, “Is the public safe? Yes,” at a news conference Wednesday evening.

Doerrer said there was a security presence at the game, but he did not know how many people it involved.

Reached for comment late Wednesday, school board Vice President Liz Barrett said, “Overall, I think our schools are very safe.” She said she was waiting for law enforcement to finish the investigation before speaking specifically about the violence.

“My thoughts and prayers are with those injured,” she said.

Frederick High School is closed for students Thursday, according to Frederick County Public School system’s website.

Staff writers Danielle E. Gaines and Patti Borda Mullins contributed to this report. Follow Paige Jones on Twitter: @paigeleejones.

Paige Jones covers business and biotech in Frederick County. She started at the paper in 2014 as a nighttime crime reporter before switching to business. A Kansas transplant in Maryland, she enjoys exploring the East Coast in her free time.

Comments disabled.